RAM Host Community Forums

Knowledge and Help for our Customers (and everyone else)

You are not logged in.

#1 11 Nov 2011 10:00:00 pm

himagain

IPv6 reverse DNS Info request

Hi there,
"IPv6 reverse DNS"  is a difficult phrase to get much not-2-techie info about.
So, any pointers to sources, OR answers appreciated as to what it means for this user at the other end of the world, really appreciated.

Cheers!

#2 12 Nov 2011 9:09:30 am

admin
Administrator
Website

Re: IPv6 reverse DNS Info request

It's basically the same as IPv4 reverse DNS.

Robert, Owner, RAM Host

#3 13 Nov 2011 3:45:57 am

himagain

admin wrote:

It's basically the same as IPv4 reverse DNS.

Hi there,
Thanks Robert - now all I need to know is what THAT means to a VS operator!  :-)

Cheers,

Himagain

#4 12 Sep 2014 2:05:42 pm

Tj

I'm not too well versed in this, this is just from my experience. Regularly DNS has a A and a AAAA record, which is basically a "record" telling people that "hey guys, www.name.com is actually at X.Y.Z.A" or something to that effect. So when you type in google.com, ultimately some DNS server somewhere holds that record that gets passed on to other caching servers (like 8.8.8.8, google public caching server) which just caches all these records so everyone doesn't hit up that original DNS server.

Now coming to your question, SOMETIMES it is neccesary to validate the other way around. Simple example is IRC. When im connected to IRC (a chat service) from my server it sees me as Tjh from <server IP>. But that just looks ugly no? MOst IRC clients have a way to tell IRC "no dude, it's tjh@tj-h.info" but obviously iRC servers would want to verify that somehow. THIS is where reverse DNS is applicable. IRC will query the internet for the reverse DNS of the server im connecting from and see that the IP IS indeed in the record which says that said IP is mapped to tj-h.info, so it's all good. the IPv6 and IPv4 is just different as each record holds a different version of IP address. IPv6 addresses look like 2002:0000::01fb:...etc

Although I am sure wikipedia or someone else here can explain the proccess better, this is my vague understanding from some research I did, when I had to ask for reverse DNS pointer to be updated on my server.

#5 26 Mar 2015 3:11:52 am

haneeya

I've been using another vps in the past but i'm relearning some skills now, but since i'm not that
skilled i've used a script called "tuxlite" to configure my vps.

#6 29 Aug 2017 5:57:00 am

sushreem
Banned

This is the same as IPv4 reverse DNS.

#7 13 Nov 2017 3:09:50 am

Calley

I never heard of the "tuxlite" script. I'll look into it, thanks for the suggestion.

Board footer